Tottenham are considering their next move in the chase to land José Mourinho’s first-choice centre-back signing this summer, Inter’s Milan Skriniar.
The two clubs held discussions last week in Milan with Inter holding out for €60m (£55m) – or €50m plus add-ons – for the Slovakian international but Spurs have told them that they are prepared to make an offer between €30m-€35m.
The Premier League club know they have to increase their offer but the question is how far they will be willing to go to land the 25-year-old, who has been with Inter since 2017. Tottenham are expected to make a formal bid in the next few days.
The Inter manager, Antonio Conte, has said recently that the club would be open to selling the defender if they receive “an important bid”.
Spurs conceded a late equaliser against Newcastle United on Sunday afternoon to draw 1-1. They have won one game, drawn one and lost one in the league so far. Dele Alli was once again left out of the matchday squad and could well leave before the end of the transfer window on 5 October.
Tottenham have signed the Real Madrid left-back Sergio Reguilón for £27.5m, the Southampton midfielder Pierre-Emile Højbjerg for £15m and the Wolves full-back Matt Doherty or £14.7m while Gareth Bale has joined on loan from Real.